Saturday, June 5, 2010

The Water Slide



Life can be amazing and interesting at the same time. On Wednesday June 2, 2010, I went to a church (ward) activity. We all went to West Chandler Pool. They have a promotion on Wednesday’s families get into the pool for $1!! (Saving some $$$) I love swimming and being around water. Mainly pools and lakes, I’m not to keen about the Pacific Ocean in California. So for me being in a bathing suit isn’t anything that I fear. (That is obvious, seeing that I have those pictures on the blog when I weighed 343 pounds.) Before when I would normally go to the pool I would sit and watch my kids jump off of the diving board or play on the water toys. I would never play with them on the slides, mainly because of my size. I was embarrassed for my kids that I was fat, and I was ashamed about how I looked and felt because of my out of control eating habits. Plus, I didn’t want to get stuck on the slide (the Horror), but even walking up the stairs to the top of the slide would just make me out of breath. It was just easier to soak up the rays. (Yes, I love to be tan at all times!) But when my kids asked me about going down the slide with them. I had to think about it. I had never done that before with any of my 3 kids. I even asked my friend if I should do it (thanks Jen!) I went with my daughter who is 5 and started walking up the stairs to the top of the water slide. I was almost to the top when I see my 7-year-old son running up the stairs, to be with us. It was the first time in 18 years that I had gone on a water slide. It was fun to do that experience with my kids. But when my son looked at me and said “This is the first time that you have ever done this with me.” At that moment I realized that this weight loss journey has affected my kids in a positive way. That one-minute ride was AWESOME! And yes Connor you were right, the water is really cold.
As I got to the bottom of the pool, it was nice to have Roger and Joan try to take a picture of me so that I would have it for the scrapbook. (Too bad I came down a little too fast) I reminded me that I have many people who have cheered me on from the beginning of this journey to transform my body, my mind, and my spirit. I feel truly blessed to have so many people who care about my happiness and success. Anyone can lose weight, but to now see life as an opportunity to give, to enrich, to care, and to strengthen each other is priceless. I feel so blessed that someone cared enough about me to show me the path to this wonderful life, and then was willing to walk on the path with me to guide me. I don’t believe that I am perfect or I am some angel of a person. I still make mistakes, both big and small. But I now can recognize the blessings in my life.
As I walked back to where I was sitting and where my warm towel was, (did I mention the water was cold?) I saw my friends who care about me; no matter what size I am, watching their kids. I came to the understanding that I am the Riches person on the face of the Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment